Oh, to live in a treehouse

Look at this beautiful treehouse – Heidi’’s Treehouse Chalet, in Poulsbo, Washington — designed and built by Joel “Bubba” Smith and Anna Daeuble from the Treehouse Workshop with the overall project vision and management by Heidi. Jake Jacob, co-founder of Treehouse Workshop did the structural engineering.  (updated from a helpful comment submitted and posted below!)

I’m thinking a lot about houses and homes – as usual.

We are Arthur fans around here. Some of us are also Neil Gaiman fans… so when two worlds collide it’s a happy day. That happy day is October 25th (I’m guessing that’s only the States, on PBS… for the rest of us it’s probably when we just happen to come upon it) when Neil Gaiman – or rather a catlike version of Neil Gaiman – visits Arthur’s home of Elwood City on the episode “Falafelosophy”. We’re up for it! (via @zandrastratford)

Don’t forget to download, print  and doodle all over these Taro Gomi pages and then enter them in the Taro Gomi Oodles of Doodles Creativity Contest to be in the chance to win a deluxe set of art materials, a limited edition, framed print autographed by Taro Gomi and the full collection of Chronicle’s Taro Gomi books and gifts.

19 Responses to “Oh, to live in a treehouse”

1. Jill

Great to see you are back blogging. Thank you for the inspirational video and Treehouse pictures. Both of them have that feeling of feeling of a safe haven from the world. Wouldn’t they be lovely to walk into after a long hard day ? Best wishes for your Island adventure.

2. Prue

That mezzanine bedroom looks dangerous for a half-asleep trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night!

3. The Urban Potager

Good to have you back, I am looking forward to reading all about your adventures in Canada. We nearly moved to Toronto 9 months ago but as the “Gods” would have it, we stayed in Sydney. I love the tree house. I am planning on buying Peter Nelson’s first book for my husband for Christmas this year. Hope you get your furniture soon.Sarah@TheUrbanPotager

4. Diem

Prue: I was thinking the exact same thing! You wouldn’t want to roll off the wrong side of the bed.

5. thezenofmaking

Growing up, a friend of the family had a treehouse as a guest house. I spent a ton of time during my teenage years plotting about how I was going to talk my parents (and the family friends) into letting me live there. I’m happy to say that, now firmly ensconced in my adult years, I’d still live in that treehouse any day. 🙂

6. Sandra

I saw the pictures on your twitter and couldn’t help myself. I had to buy the book!!I love tree houses, have you seen the spherical one in Vancouver Island?

7. Lisa

We are huge fans of Arthur at my house too. My boys are 11 and 14 and we still sitdown everyday to watch it. I have learned a lot from that show 🙂

8. Rayne

Arthur and Neil Gaiman together? The only way possible it could be better is if it were one day earlier so it would be on my b’day.

9. Paul

Heidi is my wife and we are glad that everyone enjoys our treehouse so much! It seems to “get around”.One comment: Pete Nelson is a great guy who has done a lot of neat tree houses but it was Joel “Bubba” Smith and Anna Daeuble who did the majority of the design work, along with my wife (Heidi) who had the overall vision and steered the project from conception on. And of course Jake Jacob, co-founder of Treehouse Workshop did the structural engineering. So there were four people who really made it special.

Pete was living abroad in Spain when we started the project and actually hadn’t seen the treehouse until after it was completed. I think a lot of people attribute it as his design as he publishes many books with it as well as other designs by Treehouse Workshop.

I just wanted to make sure that the proper people received credit. Btw, I had very little influence on the design myself.

Cheers,-Paul

10. Michael Brown

I would love to see more photos from inside this tree house, from all angles and out on the deck. Is there a bathroom or a kitchen?