My parents quite like books

56 Responses to “My parents quite like books”

1. Bec

Wow. I need to come over and pick me up one of those books- after the first three years with my toddler I have FINALLY started to regain my brain and put it to some use!!

2. jo

My first job at 15 was babysitting for our neighbours, who had exactly the same house layout as ours. I was totally shocked that their house had NO BOOKS.I didn’t realise there were people who lived without them!

3. shauna

That is just fantastic. No wonder you turned out so bright and brilliant!And I felt a pang of homesickness at seeing all the bottles of sunscreen on one shelf. Bookshelves with random bottles of sunscreen on em for easy grabbing… only in Oz 🙂

4. Limner

And I thought I was mad about books! My home looks like yours on a smaller scale. I’ve confined my love of books to the upstairs entirely.Am so loving your home!

5. Sam

wow – that looks like my kinda house!! I have books in boxes in the attic cos I don’t have enough shelves or room in the house!!

6. erika

holy moly! you are in trouble for sharing that, big time. haha. I love their house and all of those books, amazing.

Just totally gorgeous.That’s what our family home was like. Mum even had the fireplace surrounded in bookshelves.

8. Susan L

why you like books is no longer a mystery … now to explore the stash a little further and see if there’s anything there I should look out for!

9. Vic

FANTASTIC!I love them – all of them – and I have that exact same mustard coloured lamp (7th pic)!

Oh I could spend a few weeks perusing all those shelves…

10. librarygirl

wow – I thought I had a few, but that’s extraordinary ( but give me 20 more years and my house will probably be the same…)

11. Bec

my goodness me!! That is incredible! Have they read all of them?? What happens when they want to find a certain book! What a wonderful collection

12. Francesca

Fabbo – that’s just gorgeous! Have your parents thought about setting up a B&B? I’d love to visit and tuck myself into a corner with a stack of those books.

13. Tara

Where ? I don’t see any books..hang on..I’ll look closer…oh yeah, think I see one or two now 😉

14. Camille Dumas Davis

People who don’t have books in their home make me a bit nervous. I have been enjoying your blog for several years and it is wonderful and inspiring every time I visit it.

15. Judy Edmonds

I might just give them a run for their money, but I’m not sure. There is nothing like growing up in a house full of books. Only problem is that it reduces the amount of wall space available for hanging art. Oh, and removalists complain about them!

16. lindsey clare

oh. my. lord. i love it. my parents have a whopping bookshelf (actually i think it’s a series of Billy bookcases) filled with all sort of books. plus another set of shelves for kids books (now grandkids books i s’pose!). it makes me happy.

17. momo

Holy moses! That is fantastic – especially the books in the pantry. We didn’t HAVE even one bookshelf when I was growing up (bring out the violins), but I made my own improvised one using my dollhouse and then my wardrobe, so am proud of my initiative.

18. Sarah

Oh my, I love love love this! My dad had over 2,000 books in our house growing up that we packed up and moved from city to city, and now my husband and I have stacks of books all over our tiny one bedroom apartment. There are even books on top of the (unused) TV! I love seeing other people’s shelves…so inspiring!

19. Leah

Wow! And I thought my parents had a lot :o) What a wonderful house. Books are the best.

20. Adriana

Fabulous photos. And fabulous to have parents who love books!Mine were the same and I always remember while growing up how my dad would always ask why you wanted money for a new jacket. However, if the money was book he just asked how much you needed 😉

I’ll have to show my husband, who says I have too many books. I think your parents win 😉

21. Jodie

Loving all of the pictures…. I picture my sisters house like this oneday… She has ooddles and ooddles of books in boxes awaiting the day that she finally has a house big enough to display them all… 🙂

22. Abraham Lincoln

Wow. I am impressed. Sometimes I stumble into blogs that just grab me everywhere and I want to share them with others. So I will have this one showing up — probably tomorrow. It is a beautiful blog and shows your interest is in books — or you own a publishing house. And you are old at blogging too. I thought I was old as I began in 2002 with my wife who is now 73.

23. elaineganmaclaine

That’s ALOT of books.Your mom’s bookshelves is so very similar to my Mom-in-law’s books collection! She’s been a proof-reader for years, which explains about her impressive reading materials.. 🙂

Cheers!

24. Mousy Brown

Me too! Give us a few years and ours will look like that – my 8 year old is already firmly hooked in book buying – 6 this weekend!

25. MeganK

Oh this made me smile – especially the pic of books squashed up next to the tinned tomatoes!Little wonder you are a writer now with this influence in your life.

26. gnomeangel

My goodness they do love a book! I would love to end up living in a house surrounded by books. It would be like living in a library only you’d be able to make us much noise as you wanted. *sigh*

27. Teresa

very nice pickies indeed – makes me feel better about my bookshelves with books stacked sideways on top and of books rather than vertically – good to have the close ups so you can pick out books you know like the Milly Molly Mandies and the Macquarie dictionary!

28. Andrea

….a house with no books is not a home….those photos feel so familiar!…we have books stacked all over, shelves full double stakes, and still in boxes.

29. Louisa

there’s nothing quite like a personal library… as a librarian i’ve learnt that i NEVER return books on time, so a personali library is the best idea. my place is slowly looking more and more like your parents’.

30. sharon

Oh loobylu I am laughing so hard… My daughter suggested I look at your blog re the books… And we thought our house was bad – your parents win!!!! I love it!!!!!

31. lynne

Wow what an amazing lot of books and what a delight for you to wade through as a child. I think by the time I am 80 I am going to live in a library. We are pretty overloaded as it is now with shelves and piles of books everywhere. good thing I live on the ground floor 😛

32. crystal

WOW you should definitely do a rainbow bookshelf arrangement ~ check out this link and scroll almost all the way down…..then enjoyhttp://csdart.blogspot.com/2009_05_01_archive.html