My Creative Space – sunshine

mycreativespace010
After a huge amount of rain (for Melbourne anyway) in the last 24 hours we now have lovely clear sunshine spilling in our windows. The studio is especially good on such mornings – lots of light and floorboards. I have already done some gocco printing and now have to wait patiently for my new supplies to arrive next week. This week I have also been painting more wooden dolls (I am especially happy with the little traditional shaped doll in her red stripes) and sewing the skirts on rabbits.

I have hit a bit of a roadblock with the wooden dolls. I have used water based inks to paint them which is crazy, I know, but I have had previous experience with these inks (Art Spectrum’s Artists’ Pigment Ink) and they have always dried with a kind of plasticky, water resistant finished. I expected the inks to dry similarly on the dolls so I could coat them in a varnish to seal them and finish them off… unfortunately when I started to paint on the varnish (Atelier’s Satin Medium and Varnish) the inks ran… I am hoping I can find some kind of spray on finish which will help waterproof and seal the dolls. Off to the art shop for advice!

34 Responses to “My Creative Space – sunshine”

1. Cindy

They almost look like the cuest game of bowling ever. I love the stripy shirts and the faces are so sweet. Hope the spray search went well.

2. Kylie

Oh wow! How gorgeous are these dolls?! I so love them – I think long-neck girl is my favourite 🙂 K

3. Linda

oh my the dolls are FABULOUS I love them, I think the one with the long neck is my favourite too she is adorable, I hope you have success in finding a sealer, I have had similar problems with sealing mixed media works

4. Estelle

You might have to stick with oiling these dolls, adding any varnish or shellac with a water base or thinners is likley to cause the ink to run i’m afraid. You could try a 50/50 linseed oil & turpentine mix, I have used this for a nice soft gloss on natural timber and it brings out colour beautifully. It will take a few repeated coats, but the dolls are small and worth the attention. Alternately try swithching to an artisit acrylic paint, these tend to dry waterproof, are good on wood and I have succesfully shellaced over them before (think folk art. Good luck!

5. Michelle

Gorgeous sun light streaming in the window. I hope you find an answer for your dolls. They are very sweet.

6. Michelle

I love that little black-haired beauty with the elegantly long neck. Wonderful!Side note, is the Klutz book that you illustrated still in print? Can’t quite remember the name…?!

7. selina

I love how the one with blue stripes looks jealous at the one with red stripes that you like more than her. ohh, if looks could kill!!

8. sue

Those dolls are so delightful in all their wonderful colors, and I adore their little faces. I hope you find a varnish that wont smudge them.

9. Katy

Is that a gocco, i have only seen the ones they sold about 20 years ago, small with a big lamp thingy…yours looks very cool! Your dolls are very sweet.

10. Kerstin

Very cute dolls. Reminds me of the old style bathing suits. 😀

11. Melanie

It’s nice to see a bit of sunshine around these parts lately, isn’t it. Your wee dolls are adorable – we did wooden dolls in our creative space this week too… but of the peg variety 🙂

12. Lisa

you’re dolls are inspirational, I hope you get the varnish situation sorted out:)

13. Mandy

The dolls are very, very cute. 🙂 I do believe that a spray on varnish would work nicely; if it’s anything like what I have spray varnished, it would most likely gone on very evenly and dry with a smooth and shiny finish. Best of luck!

14. FairyWhisperArt

I love your dolls – they are painted so nicely!! Hope you find out how to seal them!!I have just started painting wooden dolls and if you have any more contacts to buy blank wooden dolls that would be fabulous. Lots of luck with your dolls xx