Favourite rain

favourite300308.jpg
I can hear rain on the leaves outside. A friend of mine was telling me recently that her psychologist had told her that the “psychology of rain” has changed for us Australians in recent times. It used to be that rain brought sorrow and the blues but now after years of drought a good, decent rain has us dancing in the streets and smiling at one another in the shops. It seems to be true. I wonder how long it will last. I still love (and have always loved) going to bed while it’s raining gently on the roof. I know I’m hardly alone on that one. Even in more recent years when I have had to worry about leaking roofs or overflowing gutters I still love that soothing lullaby.

Everyone has gone to bed, including Phil who is fighting off that awful virus I had last week. He has it much worse than me, poor chap. But the house is quiet now apart from the chug of the dishwasher and the aforementioned rain so I am exploring flickr. How I could curl up and live in my favourites page! A fun thing to do is to click through favourite’s favourites, and then favourite’s favourite’s favourites. I then add my favourite favourite’s favourites to my favourites and my favourites grow and grow! Did you get all that? It appeals to my collecting-gene which I inherited from my mother. I can’t help it.

Ps. thanks for the mail advice yesterday!

20 Responses to “Favourite rain”

1. kelli

How funny to read this on my first look at your blog. My four year old had a tiny tear under her eyelash as she looked out the window today. She stated the rain made her sad. This is the first time I have felt so unable to make her feel better. We sat and hugged and I tried to do what I could. The rain is so pretty and relaxing to me. So hard to understand her tiny tear for me. Ohh, the many sruggles of being a mom.

2. fiona

love the rain when i’m going to sleep. just add the dryer running in the background and i’m in heaven! thanks for sharing your favorites!

3. jerusalem

I love all your favs – so colorful. Rain is different for me too, because I grew up in a rainy place, I get antsy when it has been too sunny for too long, I crave the rain.

4. Elaine

yeah!! just discovered you’re back blogging – Loobyloo used to be one of my favourite craft blogs – I am already feeling inspired!!!

5. pip

Oh yes.. the rain is GOOD! Except remember that stormy night early last week – when the rain was completely clattering down?! We were all under the blankets that night – the lightning was flashing and the thunder was cracking – it was actually scary!! But yes.. nothing better then rainy nights.. if they don’t sound like something out of Tap Dogs. I don’t really like Tap Dogs much.

6. when skies are grey

oh great, you inspired me to go favorite searching in flickr because of your beautiful pics (i love “fine little day”s bunnies as well). I spent a whole naptime (my sons) with this!….i did find some nice images though 🙂

7. bex

I so agree with you, and I can’t describe the joy of wearing my gumboots for the first time this year. Rain, it just makes me so happy. Now I just need to work out how to mend the splits in my boots so they’re waterproof again…happy rain to you!

8. Michele Tanner

Hi Claire,Lovely to see you back!Your blog has been a major inspiration for me. It has opened up a whole world of craft that has motivated and encouraged my own projects. How you can sew, paint etc with young children… my hero!I felt as I’m sure a lot of people a bit lost when you stopped blogging. I have pondered often since you had a break how you are going! I have children the same ages as you do so I was a bit worried everything was running semi smoothly! Great you are posting again!!!!! If you are still looking for wool felt try this link… have not used any yet, but look good!http://www.winterwoodtoys.com/default.asp

9. lynne

Hello, Like so many other people I am glad to see your back. I’ve stopped by several times over the past year and was really overjoyed to see you’ve been back for over 2 months. I need to do some catching up 🙂

Lynne x

10. francesca

in google reader, your address seems to be missing a / between com & archives.glad to see you blogging again!

11. Carrie

Where I live it is raining right now, and how appropriate, because my favorite is the umbrella teacup!

12. maura

HA! It’s reassuring to know that I’m not the only person out there that LOVES getting lost in flickr doing that “favorites” thing. 🙂

13. friendlyflamingo

I do exactly the same with blogs – I go to my favourite blogs, and see who their favourite blogs are, and then theirs, and so on. My ‘Favourites’ button in Explorer is overflowing with crafty blogs! :o)An I, too, enjoy the smug-and-warm feeling of being safely indoors when the rain ir pattering outside.

14. Viv

I overheard this lovely anecdote on the train the other month, or many it was in the paper, but a woman watched her two year old be startled by the rain in the playground. Older kids knew what it was and ran for cover, but her two year old, who’d never seen a downpour before, looked up at the sky in surprise, hands out to feel the fat wet drops.

15. Tania

My son used to say “rain rain go away” now he says “yeah its raining – our water tank will fill up”.Is kiddles coming back – I miss it so much!

16. joybucket

I feel so honored to be on your favorites page! You are the one (through your blog in 2005) that got me inspired to start doing MOS then dolls.

17. chookyblue

love to see rain………always have loved it and now it is nice to see that the city people are appreciating it………the sound of rain on the roof and that smell when it first rains……….magical…….enjoyed the old knitting pics to……..